RUST DESTROYERｮ SPECIFICATIONS
DIVISION 9 - FINISHES
SECTION 09900 - PRIMING METAL SURFACES - RUST CONVERTING
PART I - GENERAL: 1.01 DESCRIPTION
||Section includes: All field priming of interior and exterior metal items and surfaces required to complete the work of this project.
||Requirements of this section are in addition to requirements of the Bidding/Contract Conditions and Division I.
||Submit the following submittals in accordance with Section 03140.
- Materials list of items proposed to be provided under this section.
- Manufacturer's specifications and other data needed to prove compliance with the specified requirements.
1.03 PRODUCT HANDLING
A. Deliver products to site in factory sealed and labeled containers in accordance with Section 01610.
- Container labeling shall include manufacturer's name, type of primer, brand name, brand code, coverage, surface preparation, drying time, cleanup, and instructions for mixing and reducing.
||Store and protect products in accordance with Section 01620.
- Store primer at minimum ambient temperatures of 45oF (7oC) and a maximum of 90oF (32oC) in well ventilated areas.
||Take precautionary measures to prevent fire hazards and spontaneous combustion.
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
2.01 RUST CONVERTING PRIMER
A. Provide the following United States patented material manufactured by Advanced Protective Products, Inc., or approved equal, approved in advance by the Architect.
Advanced Protective Products RUST DESTROYERｮ
Minimum Specific Physical Properties:
- Salt Spray Resistance: 300 hours as per ASTM B117, with a dry film thickness of 3 mils.
- Accelerated Weathering: 500 hours as per ASTM E42, with various top coats.
- Adhesion Test: 25 square cross hatch test with performance at 250 PSI with no loss on intercoat adhesion nor in overall adhesion to the metal surface, after 300 hours of salt spray ASTM B117, and 500 hours of accelerated weathering ASTM E42.
- Flexibility: No cracking when bent over l/4. mandrell through 180o.
- Solvent Emission: Meets rule 66. Maximum 280 grams per liter under the EPA/GARB VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUND (VOC) EMISSIONS guidelines for this product category.
- Viscosity: 86-92 KU.
- Total Solids Per Weight: 59% minimum.
- Corrosion Deposits: After salt spray test ASTM B117, and the accelerated weathering test ASTM E42, there can not be any evidence of corrosion.
- Non-Toxic: Does not contain lead, chrome, or other toxic pigments, must meet FDA and USDA approval.
PART 3 EXECUTION:
||Prepare ALL metal surfaces in strict accordance with rust converting paint primer manufacturer's published instructions.
||New Metal Surfaces:
- Remove any grease or dirt from the surfaces.
||Scaling, Rusty Metal Surfaces:
- Remove loose or scaling particles, grease or dirt from the surfaces.
||Rusty, Painted Metal Surfaces:
- Remove loose particles, grease or dirt from the surfaces.
||Rusty Metal Surfaces:
- Remove grease or dirt from the surfaces.
||Glossy Painted Metal Surfaces:
- Remove grease or dirt from the surfaces.
- No sanding of glossy surface needed for adhesion.
||Rust converting Paint Primer must work on ALL surfaces listed above.
3.03 APPLICATION OF RUST DESTROYERｮ
- RUST DESTROYERｮ can be applied by brush, roller or spray (airless or conventional).
||Apply RUST DESTROYERｮ in strict accordance with manufacturer's published instructions.
||Product can be applied to damp surfaces at 35oF.
||Allow for complete drying, according to manufacturer's recommendation, prior to applying top/finish coat.
PART 4 - WARRANTY
||Manufacturer shall provide to Architect, after product has been applied according to manufacturer's recommendations, a 5 year warranty that the product stops rust for five years when coated with any commercially produced top coat paint, designed for application on exterior metal surfaces in the specific environment.
Specified by Corrosion Engineers
ATTACHMENT 1 -- SPECIFICATION 557-M-3
Specification for Protective Coating System for Chillers' Cooling Tower Structural Steel
Coldwell Banker, 1311 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains, NY
December 12, 1986
||RUST DESTROYERｮ Primer Coat / Glidden Paint System
The cooling tower structural steel surfaces, in accordance with the requirements of Table 2.2, shall be prepared in accordance with NACE-RP-01-72, titled - "Recommended Practice - Surface Preparation of Steel and Other Hard Materials by Water Blasting Prior to Coating or Recoating."
Surface preparation, selection of paints, number of coats, and required dry film thickness (DFT) of paint coatings for the structural steel for the chillers' cooling tower are specified in Table 2.2.
The RUST DESTROYERｮ product is a red appearing, mineral spirit, alkyd-type primer. Specific details for this Paint System are found in Appendix 5. Coating data for the Intermediate Coat is found in Appendix 3. Coating data for the Finish Coat is in Appendix 4.
||General Requirements Applicable to Both Systems
Sand blasting, water blast cleaning, and spray-painting shall not begin until warning signs have been prominently displayed on rooftop entrances. Contractor shall provide the signs.
Pumps, compressors, storage containers, etc., will not be allowed on the roof membrane. All such equipment will be used and stored in the Contractor's truck which can be parked adjacent to the building.
If it is necessary that equipment be placed on the roof in order to satisfactorily complete the task, then notice must be given at the time of bidding and appropriate protection systems be developed to protect the roof membrane.